Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Lost Boy

It has to be every mothers worst nightmare, loosing your child.  I have never freaked out like I did today.  Not that my kids have never hid from me in a store before, because they have, many times. But because I really, really could not find him and the only thing in my head was the worst outcome possible.
Logan wanted to come to Wal-Mart with me today so we could buy strawberry's to dip in chocolate.  My grocery list was not very long I only had six things on it.  And, of all my kids, I would choose Logan to go with me to the store any day because he is so good.  He spends all day with me while the other kids are at school, so I guess I have him well trained to be some what good at stores while I shop.  The only thing different about today was he wanted to walk instead of get in the cart.  This is not a huge deal to me because he is 3 after all and growing more independent every day.  He loves to be my big helper.  As long as he holds onto the basket I'm ok with him walking.  Although with his little legs I plan on it taking an extra 10 minutes...at least!
I was in the paper and cleaning isles.  I left the cart on the end of the isle because what I was looking for was right on the end and there was 2 ladies standing in the way.  Normally not a big deal!  I grabbed what I needed super fast and when I turned around little Logan was GONE!  Not a huge deal, not yet.  My thought at first was I'm sure he's close by.  Looked down a couple if isles...and looked down a couple more.  Looked the other way.  Went back the first way this time saying his name. Repeat this at least 3 times, each time his name getting louder and me walking faster.  At the same time wondering where in the heck he would be.  Looking further away from the basket, thinking surely he would NEVER go this far.  That would be very unlike him.  Finally looking for someone who worked there because   at this point I'm freaking out and really NEED/WANT help!  What happened next was what I was so impressed with.  The gal who I first found used her radio to call in the code (lost child) what ever that was.  So quickly they had EVERYONE looking in different areas and had all doors being watched. Within no time I was crying, totally freaked out!  They found Logan moments later!  So quickly!  I'm very thankful I asked for help and that everyone knew what to do!  Where was he??............  Literally 3 feet away from my basket.  Why couldn't I find him?  Because that little turd was hiding behind the toilet paper, on the very bottom,  where you have to get on your hands and knees and crawl in. Really good hiding spot Logan...Really good. So good he had toilet paper all around him good  Would have won in a real game of hide and seek good. Why didn't I think of that?  Im not sure.  In all honesty my kids have crawled in behind the paper goods before. Just not so sneaky and quiet. And usually are like hey mom look at me! When I asked him why he did not respond to me looking for him...YELLING his name, he did not have a good answer other than he was playing hide and seek.  He clearly did not understand what all the fuss was about!  Easy going little kids, without a worry in the world!  That was one of those moments where I wanted to smack him and hug him and cry all at the same time.
The most important thing I felt today was the overwhelming love I have for each one of my children.  My life would not be the same with out them!
And now, a very serious talk about not hiding from mommy in the store!

1 comment: