Thursday, October 20, 2022

Airport day Wednesday October 19th

 This morning we were able to sleep in.  Thankfully, since we were out until 2 in the morning.  We went straight to the airport for our flight to Rome, Italy.   Paul has been feeding queasy and so it was a rough day for him to say the least. The taxi ride to the hotel was not bad. It's really neat that the streets were cobblestone and therefore a bumpy ride. Our hotel is right in the middle of town and I got a quick glimpse of some beautiful things along the way. As soon as we got to the hotel Paul laid down to relax. I went off for dinner at a restaurant around the corner.  Homemade pasta and homemade gelato for dessert.  It's been a long day. Looking forward to exploring tomorrow. 


October 20th Rome, Italy






We had scheduled a special Scavi Tour of the Tomb of St. Peter and of St. Peters Basilica.  Paul did not feel good but decided to power though the tour.  They took us underground to the original city.  We saw the old city, and the burial sight of St. Peter. Pretty neat to see and listen to all the history. The Vatican City as it is now was just hillside back then.  As soon as we were done, Paul who barely made it out (by now he's going to throw up) desperately wanted to to back to the Hotel.  I however was ready to explore.  I got in line to go up to the very top Dome of St Peters Basilica.

There are two parts to climbing St. Peters dome, walk 231 stairs or pay the 4$ for the elevator to the first level.  My question is, literally, why anyone would not pay for the ride.  

Level 1 the mosaics






Next, 320 stairs to the tippy top.  It is a narrow single file staircase that slowly spiral up, with the roof slanting in towards you.  It gets very narrow at the very top with a tiny corkscrew staircase.  And at last I made it to the top with a red flushed face.  It killed my knees for the rest of the trip but there were beautiful views.  I also like to be able to say I was at the very top of the city and the very bottom. When I got down I walked through St. Peters Cathedral, absolutely beautiful in every way.  I got to sit and listen to the Organ and a man sing opera.  Because Paul had gone home sick I spent as much time as I wanted wandering around and just enjoying everything.








Next, it was time to adventure on the bus by myself.  It isn't hard, but I did experience a hour learning curve going the wrong direction.  I found my way to Piazza Navona.  This was a square with beautiful fountains and shopping.  




Next a walk to Trevi Fountain.  The streets were all food and shopping lots of Gelato shops.  The fountain is beautiful and I even threw a penny in.


Next, a short walk to the Pantheon.  This wasn't my plan I was just walking the streets and ran into it.  



After I figured out my bus ride close enough to the hotel that I felt comfortable I stopped at this cute pizza place along the street and had dinner.  Amazing day in Rome!




No comments:

Post a Comment