Unlike Dr. Phil I do not see anything wrong with a little bribery... once in awhile. Although Dr. Phil says they should have a good feeling of self accomplishment without getting anything in return, what if they don't even want to accomplish something important? That is where Schaeffer 101 comes in.
Hailey is in 3rd grade now and should or I wish she was getting really involved in a good book. She however has not found interest in chapter books or anything that really captures her interest to read about. Now how is she going to find out what she likes if she wont even try. Now this was 3 months ago and after lots of encouragement and threats and let me help you, it just was not helping. After her 20 minutes of reading I would wonder... did she even read or knowing Hailey well enough I just knew she did not read and was daydreaming with her book open. Tricky, but mom knows everything. Well here comes the best results and all because of a little bribery. If Hailey read 20 minutes every day for 14 days she would then get a prize. She has in fact started to read without me asking her to and knows she likes books about history. She can also tell me what the book was about. Yay for Hailey! Aww Success. Completely worth 5 bucks and Hailey will get her self accomplishment as she becomes confident in her reading. Everybody wins.
Now don't get too excited, and don't loose control.
Now when my kids are in the store and we are at the checkout line and they pull off one of those, everybody thinks about it that's why they put them there, candy bars I'm ok with a big fat no. Especially if there it a fit involved.
You do need to think quickly though. For example; When I get home I was going to ask you to clean your room and I can avoid all the whining and maybe even get it done faster and better if I buy you the candy bar. So I add the I'll buy it if.... wow now that's definitely worth 50 cents. And hey those candy bars do look yummy now I can get one too.
What's A Sister For?
6 days ago


No comments:
Post a Comment